Once upon a time, that was the silliest question I had ever heard. I am not a runner, is what I had always thought. Yes, I played sports growing up. I loved the competitiveness that it instilled in me, trying very hard to beat the other team through know how, determination and ability. I love the adrenaline rush of a good game. But what next...
I am the stay at home mom to three wonderfully smart, talented and competitive children. At least two out of three are. The youngest is 9 months, but being my daughter she will have that nature in her without a doubt. I am a dabbler of many things, but this running thing has proven to be something that I never in my wildest dreams thought I would actually enjoy. I mean running on an open trail, wind blowing slightly, sun setting...how would that be enjoyable. Not to mention, kid-less for an hour or two. I love my kids, but having a clear head for a bit is priceless. Well, I stand corrected. It is the most amazing thing, and it has started to test my limits..my boundaries..to see how far I can go and how long I can push myself.
I am by no means, fast. I am the turtle..to a T. But, I am not last, and I guess neither was the turtle ;) On a whim I decided to register for a Half Marathon. To run? at the time it was a silly question. I had never entered a race before in my life, so why not go ahead and sign up for 13.1 miles?! Well, I figured I had at least paid for it, I would at least run, walk, crawl or roll my way down to the finish line. It was a downhill course, so at least rolling would have been an option. The day came after months of training, and what do ya know...I didn't need to roll once. I ran, and finished faster than the goal I laid out before myself.
Now here I am, two years since my very first race registration and my next goal is to run/bike/walk 565 miles with a team of wonderful people. To raise money for a wonderful cause. Its amazing to think how far I have come, and yet I'm no where near where I am supposed to be. This running thing is taking me on a wild ride, and I wont ever get off.
To run or not to run, that WAS a silly question, but not anymore. I was once not a runner, but I think I am now. To blog or not to blog? Did I mention, I am not a writer? :)
Wow! You are a runner and a pretty good writer! Amanda, I loved reading this and you have inspired me.... As always. It's so much fun to share the passion of sport with you, especially, running. I'm so honored to be a part of your team. I'm also looking forward to reading about your journey! I'm not sure how you parents do it all with kids , family and life, but you do and you do it well.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteGreat write up Amanda I can totally visualize your scenery of the "open trail, wind blowing slightly, sun setting..." nicely written... Those are nice memories, nice snapshots to keep in the back of your mind. Sometimes when I run, I think... I might not be able to solve life's problems but at least I have a chance to enjoy the moment... I love the part by rolling your way to finish line that was cute :-).
ReplyDeleteWow 565 miles, that is an awesome feat that you & your team are taking on... truly admirable, I hope to read about your experiences on this journey. By the way I agree with Heidi you are a great writer.
Thanks for sharing,
Monica