It wasn't pretty at all.
Monday before the race I went for my final run. It started really bad. My stomach started hurting, so badly, after 2 miles I had to turn around and go home. By that evening I was vomiting all over the place..talk about a nightmare. I was in bed the next few days, barely keeping anything down.
That should have been a sign.
And I didn't see it.
Saturday morning rolled around, I was keeping food down at that point, so at 4 am I rolled out of bed, grabbed my stuff and headed for Salt Lake. It was my first time taking the trax from downtown to the starting point, but I got there early, got a great parking spot and figured if all else fails I'll follow other people with race bibs.
The morning was beautiful, clear and cool. With the full, half, 5k and bike marathon there were 6500 people participating. The race started good..
And slowly went down hill from there..and not just the course. My whole body by mile 6 felt like it was shutting down. I hurt..everywhere. To the point where I had to walk. I knew that I wouldn't quit. It would just take me longer than I anticipated.
Heidi, Mike and my husband Shawn were sending me words of encouragement. They knew I was hurting and wanted to be there for me in some way. I love them ❤️
At one point an older man with a limp and his wife passed me..
By mile 11, I had walked since mile 6..I thought "I have to finish this" so I start to run the rest of the way. It hurt so bad. But th takeaway point in all this...it's okay to bow out if your sick. I was afraid that by not doing the race, even if I had been sick, I was letting myself down in a way. AND! I wanted that stinkin' medal!! But, if that ever happens again, I'll gracefully step back. And I'll be okay with that.
In the end I finished, not as fast as I'd hoped but I finished. Got a smokin' cool medal
Next up..Ogden Half. I am looking forward to that one, and doing it with friends.
And, in case your curious...I did end up finishing before the older man with a limp and his wife 👍








Oh Amanda! This made me giggle. Your eyes in your pictures look really sick. Not sure I would have finished! I admire your guts and will to get the task done! Plus, you got the the "smoking cool medal"! Love it! You're amazing and awesome! So proud of you. Love you!
ReplyDelete